Hamster Fanatic Forum

Full Version: RE: Bit concerned about MJ again !!!( ANOTHER UPDATE)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
I'm a bit worried about MJ again. Apart from needing her claws trimmed theres nothing i can put my finger on but she just doesn't look right to me. Her fur is looking scruffy and her behaviour just doesn't seem right. I'm wondering if it age or if shes ill. Will be phoning the vets tomorrow to get her claws trimmed and will ask the vet to give her a check. I suppose it could be age as i don't really know her real age all i got told was that she was around 4 months when i got her which if that is right it would make her 16 months. Hope it just me being paranoid.
Well I am hoping and praying it is nothing serious at all. I hope you will update us all when you know more. MJ sweetie, please start acting back to your normal self please.
Hopefully she'll be ok, age can affect them in funny ways, the vet should be able to set your mind at rest with a bit of luck smile
please let us know how it goes at the vet, hopefully it is nothing serious x x x
Hope its nothing serious, maybe she just needs a wee boost like some extra vitamins in her water. Fingers crossed and please let us know how she is doing.
Ok just got back from the vets claws all trimmed, teeth checked and are fine. But she has some what looks like bruising and swelling on her abdomen which is of some concern. The vet said it could be something similar to wet tail as she was a bit wet underneath. So she has given her a shot of anti biotics and told me to keep a close eye on her for the next week and obviousley if the swelling or bruising looks any worse to bring her back.

God i hope she going to be ok, poor little mite she was not impressed at being man handled.
I hope MJ will be ok Cry I know Max used to get very wet on his tummy, it was fluid from his scent gland, and although I asked a vet to check on it, she said it was normal. I don't know if female robos have a scent gland, but I imagine they do. Max's looked like a little raised lump.

Hopefully MJ has nothing serious, but the bruising is a concern, I hope it goes down and she gets better bless her. x x

Hugs from me, Saffy and Skye.
Awww, hope she'll feel better soon. Hopefully the antibiotics will give her a boost Hug
Oh dear, I've got my fingers crossed for little MJ. have you tried some baby food to perk her up a bit?
My other hamster bible ("Dwarf Hamsters: A Complete Pet Owner's Manual" by Vanderlip, DVM) talks about scent glands and makes no mention of it being just males or just females, so it seems both have them. It's about mid belly and supposedly will sometimes get wet. Perfectly normal. Apparently you don't have to worry unless the gland gets infected. But what it has to do with diarrhea (wet-tail) I don't know. Not sure what your vet meant by that. So maybe the bruising is all you have to worry about, unless she did some serious internal damage to herself. Fingers crossed (and toes).
Thanks guys, smile

@ Kirsten i haven't given her any baby food but will pick some up for her thanks.

@ Wholestorey and Rolo thanks for the heads up on the scent gland, i'm not too sure if females have them either but i will be getting her out for a physical check this evening. Will let you know what i see.
http://www.veterinarypracticenews.com/ve...lands.aspx

Nice article about scent glands. They seem to imply that for female dwarfs, there still are scent glands, but they're not easily noticeable (though, for Syrians, they state it flat out that females have them but aren't as easily noticeable).
Thanks very much for that Sylvia, some interesting reading there, also lays to rest some of the concerns i had about the wettness underneath her. I had found out from a Robo forum that females do have scent glands but reading that article has definatley made me feel a bit better. So thanks again.

I did manage to get a little look, not much of one mind you man that girl can wriggle Laugh at her last night and from what i could see the purpleish colour where the bruising is doesn't look as bad, so hopefully the anti biotics have kicked in and are helping her. I will keep doing physical checks every 2 days for awhile, but think i will take her back to the vets at the end of next week just to make sure everything has cleared up properly.
I have just had a look at MJ tonight and to me she doesn't look too good. She looks like she has lost weight is walking a bit funny and is sleeping an awful lot, also she had a small patch where her fur hadn't grown back from when she lost some fur a few months ago and having alook tonight she has lost more fur around this patch and her skin is abit dry. Poor little love she doesn't look her best, hopefully will be taking her back to the vets tomorrow afternoon if they are open.
Good luck to you both, fingers crossed for her.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Reference URL's